Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surfacing/Drawings - solidworks user

aaron_tuckaaron_tuck Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone. 

I'm an industrial designer with 10 years of solidworks use on my belt and I'm excited about the prospect of Onshape. Firstly, I just have to say, wow. Onshape is amazing in that I'm running it on my SW machine at work, but also my ipad and macbook pro, so big thumbs up there.

Now onto the questions. I use solidworks for modelling and assembling furniture and creating drawings for production, so I need a package that can do everything solidworks does. My first question is about surfacing. I love tools such as delete face, offset surface and split with surface. Are these tools that might be added soon in onshape?

Secondly, are there any hidden tools, as is the case in solidworks, which need to be activated; or is what you see what you get? I'm keen to switch, but for $100 a month, I would need a bit more that what I'm seeing.

Another question is will I be able to import my solidworks drawing templates, or do I need to build these again from scratch. I like how in solidworks if I add a dimension I have it set so that they are always horizontal. I can't seem to find this functionality in Onshape. 

Comments

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    Hi everyone. 

I'm an industrial designer with 10 years of solidworks use on my belt and I'm excited about the prospect of Onshape. Firstly, I just have to say, wow. Onshape is amazing in that I'm running it on my SW machine at work, but also my ipad and macbook pro, so big thumbs up there.

Now onto the questions. I use solidworks for modelling and assembling furniture and creating drawings for production, so I need a package that can do everything solidworks does. My first question is about surfacing. I love tools such as delete face, offset surface and split with surface. Are these tools that might be added soon in onshape?

Secondly, are there any hidden tools, as is the case in solidworks, which need to be activated; or is what you see what you get? I'm keen to switch, but for $100 a month, I would need a bit more that what I'm seeing.

Another question is will I be able to import my solidworks drawing templates, or do I need to build these again from scratch. I like how in solidworks if I add a dimension I have it set so that they are always horizontal. I can't seem to find this functionality in Onshape. 
    @aaron_tuck Delete face and Split are both in Onshape currently.

Delete Face

Split

Have you tried these?

We do not have a tool called "offset surface" however, I think you may find we can probably accomplish the same result using a different tool.  

Drawing templates must currently be in the DWT file format.  It may be possible to export your template as a DWG file and open in a 2D CAD tool and export as DWT.  In regards to horizontal dimensions, this is ANSI drafting standard I believe?  Have you created a drawing in Onshape using a ANSI template?
  • Options
    bjorn_vande_vijverebjorn_vande_vijvere Member Posts: 1
    This should be possible: extrude square > delete one face of the cube > solid model becomes surface model