Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Learning OnShape

gary_hilsongary_hilson Member Posts: 2
Question, I've been a CAD designer since 1986. Microstation, ACAD, REVIT, CATIA, Inventor, ProE, SolidEdge. Certified in SOLIDWORKS and used the program since 2008. With my background in SW, can I make a seamless transition into OnShape?

Best Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,362 PRO
    Answer ✓
    One thing to keep in mind as you make the transition: for 80-90% of the things you know how to do in Solidworks, there’s a way to do it in Onshape. Sometimes it may seem a little different or even convoluted, but it’s usually possible. Another ~10% may require you to add FeatureScript tools (e.g. face curves, or split by silhouette- called split by isocline in Onshape). There will be a certain amount of things for which there’s no equivalent and then there will be some things that Onshape can do that just don’t exist in other tools.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 667 PRO
    Answer ✓
    20 year pro/E user here, and just completed my first year of Onshape. It was very fast to pick up. I will say though, its imperative to go through "all" the tutorials OS offers (except the couple that are for people who have never modeled in their lives). They are free, and super good, and you will hit the ground running if you do them.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,362 PRO
    Answer ✓
    One thing to keep in mind as you make the transition: for 80-90% of the things you know how to do in Solidworks, there’s a way to do it in Onshape. Sometimes it may seem a little different or even convoluted, but it’s usually possible. Another ~10% may require you to add FeatureScript tools (e.g. face curves, or split by silhouette- called split by isocline in Onshape). There will be a certain amount of things for which there’s no equivalent and then there will be some things that Onshape can do that just don’t exist in other tools.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,716 PRO
    edited December 2021
    Also, while in a studio, there is a search box at the top right of your screen. If you search for a SolidWorks tool, it should recommend the Onshape equivalent if it is available.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 667 PRO
    Answer ✓
    20 year pro/E user here, and just completed my first year of Onshape. It was very fast to pick up. I will say though, its imperative to go through "all" the tutorials OS offers (except the couple that are for people who have never modeled in their lives). They are free, and super good, and you will hit the ground running if you do them.