Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"Update Now" generating new versions.

My Robotics team is having an issue with updating an assembly. The little blue icon shows a need to update an assembly. When we click "Update all" button. Onshape opens with a window showing what assemblies need updating. The text says something like V13=V15 which makes sense to me, Currently it seems to be stuck in loop showing something like V23= New version. When click update now, the window clears, then the same window reappears with a new version number. The version is increasing every time we update now. It also never clears even though we never update the subassembly. 

Answers

• Options
    Hans_Leirvik_1Hans_Leirvik_1 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    You should use "Selective update" and specify only the items that needs to be updated.
    Do you use the Pin functionality ?   This will improve your workflow with versions.
    Also try to keep releated parts/assemblies in the same document to avoid to many updates and versions ....
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
    I have experienced this issue so much I never use the assembly update button anymore.  I looked into it a bit a long time ago and it seemed like if an assembly contains a sub assembly and that sub assembly contains a part that has changes to its workspace but not actually a version created to capture the changes, the update all will keep thinking it needs to make a new version of the sub assembly.  It may not be exactly that but that is what I remember.
  • Options
    If you insert a part or assembly from the same document, you can choose to insert from an older version or from main.
    If you go for an older version you can "Pin" it, then it will never become blue.
    If you insert from workspace Main in the same document it will always become Blue if something changes.

If you insert from another document the only option is to insert an version, ie. you can not choose "Main".
    Use PIN as above to avoid the blue indication...

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I am not sure about this, but I think the "Update All" button (top left) is a recursive function creating new versions whenever a part/assembly is changed in a sub assembly.
    In order for that change to propagate up through the hierarchy of sub assemblies to show up in the top assembly or drawing, it has to create new versions....

This is a rather complex matter, if you start to use versions in drawing views you get the same, when to update to a newer version  ???.......

I use "Pin Reference" as much as possible.

I have been waiting a long time for the possibility to "Pin" the "Derive" function in Part Studios..