Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

semi-freeform 3d shapes?

david_rysdamdavid_rysdam Member Posts: 11
I'm making a kinetic sculpture. It's going to have golf balls rolling down tubes made of welded-together wire. I was having some difficulty figuring out how to make the routes, but I think I've mostly got it licked. However, I'm not sure how to join sections that meet at arbitrary solid angles.  To see what I mean, I've constructed a test version.  (For the sake of discussion, call the 4 vertical bars the "feed tube" and the spiral bars the "descender".) 

How do I attach the exit of the feed tube with the top of the descender? "Loft" is just going to do shortest path thing, which won't leave room for the balls. I could sweep a sketch, but I'd have to define a new plane for each bar probably. Or maybe I could make a spiral with a tighter radius and lower pitch that would connect the two, but that's going to be a huge hassle. 

Basically, I think I want a 3D spline...

(Incidentally, is there some easy button or something to include screenshots of a document here in the forum? Other than manually taking a screenshot and uploading it, I mean.)

Comments

• Options
    david_rysdamdavid_rysdam Member Posts: 11
    I thought I'd be clever and change the circular spiral into a square spiral, which would make all the corners square. I now realize how stupid that was, since it does nothing to help the "solid angle" problem and multiples the number of intersections by a jillion. It also brings up how difficult all this is going to be to fabricate in the limited time I have available.

I think the main conclusion for my use of OnShape is that it needs a way to connect points that is simpler than

1) figure out a way to construct a plane containing and/or perpendicular to those points.
    2) make sketch(es)
    3) extrude/sweep

• Options
    joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    for me this is where the 3d sketching tools in other programs really come in. You want to make extrudes/sweeps along paths in 3d, you want to be able to make sketches perpendicular to arbitrary points along those curves.