Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Full round fillets - and "half round"?

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Been wondering for a while whether there's any way to programmatically determine the MAX fillet that can be applied. Full Round seems to do that when you want a 180 degree fillet but what about a 90 degree angle? Whenever I change some dimensions, I often need to fix all my fillets - whereas I often want them to be maximized.

In the screenshot above, I had to manually dial in 16mm through trial-and-error to find the max fillet that would extend to the edge of the face. But If I edit the sketch and change the offset distance between the outer and inner edges, I'll have to recalculate that fillet again (or drive it with a variable - ugh). Am I missing something easy and obvious?

While on the topic of fillets, I'm having trouble applying Full Round to two opposite faces. In the screenshot I have no issues applying Full Round to one of the two faces. The moment I add the second face, it fails, though I don't see any good reason for it to do so.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'd use the Measure Value custom feature by @konstantin_shiriazdanov to measure the size the fillet should be and create a variable for it. Here's an example document.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    This sounds like a part of design intent. May be Fillet is a wrong tool for it and it is better to model it in sketch.
  • Options
    tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    lana said:
    This sounds like a part of design intent. May be Fillet is a wrong tool for it and it is better to model it in sketch.
    If you're referring to the two "full round" fillets you may very well be right about that. Thanks for the reminder!