Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to Print a full scale drawing

mitch_b708mitch_b708 Member Posts: 16
I've just started using OS. I've drawn a shape on a plane and would like to print it. The overall dimensions of the shape are about 13" x 25" and it must therefore be printed across multiple sheets of paper at full scale. Is there any way to do this. When I try to print, It just print a part of the picture on one page.

I'm using Safari 12.1.2. Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

thanks,

Mitch

Comments

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    edited December 2021
    @mitch_b708
    I'm not sure what options you have with mac or your printer. Here is one way that I have done it. Download your sheet as a pdf, then open in Adobe and select print, if you have the options as shown in my screenshot set it and print, then trim your paper and tape it together. Convoluted? :# Yes, will it get you what you need? in some situations.  :/

• mitch_b708mitch_b708 Member Posts: 16
    That's a great idea and I have figured out how to create a drawing of a part. 
    For reference, these are my two parts. I want to create the drawing of the FACE of one of the parts, so I can print it out, trace it onto a piece of wood, then cut it out. 

What I want is a drawing normal to the face of a part. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks again,

Mitch
    Great idea. @wayne_sauder. I have a followup question. 
    I want to print the drawing, and use it as a template for cutting a piece of wood to that shape. The shape is tilted and I can't figure out how to create a drawing that is normal to the face of the shape.
    Is there a way to create a drawing that is normal to a selected face? Whenever I try to create a drawing from a part the drawing is tilted a little.

Thanks @wayne_sauder. Worked perfectly.

@mitch_b708
    Does this help. 

Ahhhh. Create a named view. Perfect solution. Thanks. 
  • john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @mitch_b708
    I'm not sure what options you have with mac or your printer. Here is one way that I have done it. Download your sheet as a pdf, then open in Adobe and select print, if you have the options as shown in my screenshot set it and print, then trim your paper and tape it together. Convoluted? :# Yes, will it get you what you need? in some situations.  :/

How do I "download a sheet as pdf" ? [I am new!]

Do I have to create a drawing?

e.g. If I am in a Part Studio, I can right-click on the name of my Sketch and then either:
    A. Create a Drawing
    B. Or export as DXF/DWG 

@john_smith077
    To do what I described here, yes you will need to create a drawing. DXF/DWG are a CAD communication file 
     Think of drawings as your paper if you want it on paper create a drawing. 
  • john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @john_smith077
    To do what I described here, yes you will need to create a drawing. DXF/DWG are a CAD communication file 
     Think of drawings as your paper if you want it on paper create a drawing. 
    Thanks Wayne, but: 
    A. Which is better to use DXF or DWG drawing format (plus which version of whichever format should I choose)?
    B. Also how can I make sure that no extra stuff (descriptive boxes etc) is added to the drawing?
    C. Do I then still need converat the drawing format file into a PDF (or can I export directly from OnShape into PDF?

edited March 2022
    @john_smith077
     I am not sure what your end goal is?
     For myself I never use DXF or DWG for anything. The only time I export that file format is if our laser cutter ask for it, if you use almost any kind of cutter on the market or sent a file to a commercial cutter you will probably need this type of file. And I always use the latest version unless otherwise requested. 
     To create a drawing there is no need to worry about file format as long as you stay inside of Onshape. 
     If I am creating a drawing for the aforementioned workflow, I just choose one of my standard drawing templates and window select the whole page and delete, then insert the part view I want. If doing a lot of it then it may be worth the time to setup a blank template. 
     Yes you can export directly to PDF, right click on the tab containing the drawing select export then set to PDF. 
     I would suggest looking through learning center to gain a better understanding some of these things.