Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What is the best way to implement an umbrella effect under a collar?

mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
    edited December 2021
    @mark_cunningham
    I'd love to chime in and help but I am either unfamiliar with your terminology or you have not provided enough info in your question.  Love that picture.  The scratched wood and color temperature are great.  The depth of field looks great.
  • Options
    mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    What I am asking how would I go about drawing this part as the underside of the top of this collar is much like an umbrella where it is curved. I could not get the underside to “shell”!
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    @mark_cunningham

I would suggest starting by creating the basic shape with a sketch and the revolve feature. From there add the rest of the cutouts or whatever details you want to incorporate.  
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @mark_cunningham
    Just rereading my comment.  I was not attempting to be sarcastic.  I really do like that picture.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    @shawn_crocker
    for what it's worth I read your comment as a very genuine complement :smiley:

I agree with @wayne_sauder this part should be started with a revolve feature. If i'm looking at it right your feature list would be:
    - profile sketch
    - revolve
    - hole sketch
    - hole cut
    - circular pattern

It looks like there's some clippy stuff going on too that would come after that
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl