Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating path on a surface that is curved in two directions

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
Hello all. I want to enhance a Christmas gift with illumination. I have modeled a piece to hold an LED. On the surface of the piece ("led mount") I want to create troughs for wiring. I did have success in 'led mount' part studio by adding height to the profile used in a sweep. It'll work but it is not uniform in that the trough walls are of an inconsistent height; perhaps unacceptable in another application.

In 'led mount attempt2' part studio I thought I might be able to use 3D fit spline and Composite curve (new tools to me) to achieve better results but with no luck; the sweep did not work..

Although I could live with the 'success' I had, I would rather learn a correct method(s). I ask for some guidance.

Thanks - Scotty

Comments

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    edited December 2021
    See here https://cad.onshape.com/documents/288869618587a08f282b23d6/w/da38ffa78c01b23aed2cbfa2/e/80a9c919ebe3fb0bb3539d8b. Split face allows to project a sketch curve on the faces. Also I've added a little extra material to sweep to make sure we are not running into trouble due to sweep not matching the geometry exactly.
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Thank You for your response. Glad to be shown a new (to me) method that might be applied to accomplish current and future tasks. I was not sure of how to project a sketch onto a surface other than by way of Use onto a flat surface or plane (other than Wrap in some cases). Now I see (by your example) that the edges of a surface can be used as a path. Nice to know.