Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Chamfer not working.

cory_nehilacory_nehila Member Posts: 2 EDU
I'm trying to chamfer a sword i made for a game, I'm quite new to onshape so there probaly is some super simple fix but some help would be great.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8113de505873e22f261752f3/w/a8c71ab59ca053977d1a1b0e/e/eec49d5036f7212c20ab10ab?renderMode=0&uiState=61ccea3798847d7643f05ed7

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I'm not sure where you got your original sketch for the sword profile, but it appears to be a lot of small straight lines. You probably want to replace these with some curves (arcs and/or splines) to clean things up. Chamfers should work, but if you have a ton of line segments like that, the chamfer tool is not going to automatically select them as tangent, and it may have difficulty with all the segments, even if you manage to carefully select all the correct edges.
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @cory_nehila

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/246eca2ec7a50dcaff7d7329/w/f56ec83166bea2f22bdcb297/e/fcf056e371b3c00c1a522c4c

Here is how I would do it. Using a SWEEP. Because a chamfer doesn’t allow for a convex or a concave along the bevel

Those two segments perpendicular to the cutting edge, could be eliminated by using one spline instead of three as I did. But I wanted to come close to what you had. And this is the way I was taught to follow curves