Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

assembly composite parts (from stl import)

lune_artlune_art Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I'm trying to import 2 complex shapes, assemble those, then export for print.
When I imported the STLs, I got meshes. I created a composite part off the meshes.
Now I want to make an assembly document and place those two *composite* parts relative to each other, with interference.
If I managed that I'd like to export and process it with my slicer, for printing.

But I can't seem to manage the assembly part. I tried both way I could find:
- import stl to my workspace, convert each to composite part, create assembly doc, but when I click on 'insert' it tells me "No Part Studio available" (whatever part studio / assemblies or current document / other document tabs),
- or I import one, then with the "+" import the second part in the same doc (no "combine to a single part studio" option btw), and then "+" again for new assembly, still in the document. guess what? same.

I'm a beginner at OnShape, but I feel lots have changed from the docs because I don't find what's in it, in the interface. Or maybe because I'm on maker licence rather than paying one?