Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
assembly composite parts (from stl import)
I'm trying to import 2 complex shapes, assemble those, then export for print.
When I imported the STLs, I got meshes. I created a composite part off the meshes.
Now I want to make an assembly document and place those two *composite* parts relative to each other, with interference.
If I managed that I'd like to export and process it with my slicer, for printing.
But I can't seem to manage the assembly part. I tried both way I could find:
- import stl to my workspace, convert each to composite part, create assembly doc, but when I click on 'insert' it tells me "No Part Studio available" (whatever part studio / assemblies or current document / other document tabs),
- or I import one, then with the "+" import the second part in the same doc (no "combine to a single part studio" option btw), and then "+" again for new assembly, still in the document. guess what? same.
I'm a beginner at OnShape, but I feel lots have changed from the docs because I don't find what's in it, in the interface. Or maybe because I'm on maker licence rather than paying one?
the doc, for the curious ones: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/612ac52d6fb90a902f5e5e8a/w/aced9b2234903d7de612b590/e/3bba75d8995afc924f5efbd9?renderMode=0&uiState=61dd830a452fb97298ef1e9c