Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

feature request, text notes tab

david_lang457david_lang457 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
yes, you can work around this by doing a drawing and making big text boxes or similar, but I was realizing that I wanted to add a bunch of notes, hyperlinks, etc to a document (house plans, listing questions, links to products, etc) and there isn't really a straightforward way to do it

adding the ability to make a tab that's a link to a google doc or similar would be a great simple step (avoiding the need to write a editor from scratch), something that integrated into onshape enough to make links to items in onshape from in the doc (parts, steps/folders in parts studios, potentially variables, etc) would be an ideal long-term thing to have

Comments

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Currently, the easiest way to do this is to make a Feature Studio and type in there. However, it will yell at you for having invalid syntax. You can avoid that by starting lines with // (to make text comments) and by leaving in the default import statement. This will let you do google-docs like typing right in the document with others.

Alternatively, you can use the link tab extension to insert an actual Google Doc document as a tab in your Onshape document: https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/Utilities/DFE73AMQ42NPMVAEQBQVP56QGLCWJ4ALJUBEBLA=/description
    The downside with this is that everyone working on your Onshape project needs to have added the link tab extension to their Onshape accounts to see the link/document. Fortunately, it's free! We use this with links to our self-hosted MediaWiki instance for more serious documentation integration with our CAD on some of the projects I work on.

While neither of these is ideal, I've found they are good enough for most use cases.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    thanks, I found my option of notes on a drawing page gets very slow with lots of text, and the lack of ability to add more pages isn't good.
  • Options
    when you have a link to a feature (like the tabs doc), is there a way to find the forum thread that goes with it for discussing issues? (I'm getting an error about unable to connect to accounts.google.com for example)

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Note that there is a way to add additional sheets to drawings detailed here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/drawings-sheets.htm

I'm not sure if there's necessarily a dedicated forum thread for each extension, but there's this one here about link tab where some people seem to be experiencing a similar issue:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8897/introducing-link-tab
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    A "Feature Studio" tab is basically a giant text box. It might be nice to have a bit more formatting options but it's still a good way to leave yourself/others notes if using comments isn't appropriate (i.e. need to type longer text).
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I think I'd personally favor Onshape's commenting capabilities for this, unless it really is just a list of URLs or something, in which case the feature studio is a good way to go. If you know how to create a pdf with hyperlinks, you can also upload that to a tab and the links will work, but that's best if you're not editing it much.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 133 PRO
    One thing we've considered doing is storing our product spec sheets/SOPs in a Word Online document and then storing the link in a PDF as a hyperlink, then uploading that link to the document. It'll work quite well but I personally think it feels odd that we have to do that much of a workaround in a system that prides itself on cloud based collaboration. 
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    If Link Tab actually worked, it might solve these issues.