Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Advice on release workflow - drawing export

Good Morning,
I'm currently going through my first production release in OS and exporting a bunch of drawings.
I'm releasing all drawings / parts / assemblies before exporting the drawing.

Non the less - as soon as you release a drawing the revision jumps up by on and an * is shown in revision history table. Also the "in progress" watermark is directly visible.
To get rid of this watermark and * - marker I must manually open the Revision History tree and "roll-back" the drawing one level back from "Main" to "Released".
In other words - to export any released drawing without the watermark you must perform one additional action (show the actual released drawing)

What is also annoying is that the released drawing goes to "in progress" status despite the fact, that NOTING changed neither in Part/Assembly nor in Drawing itself.
An new "working" version is created (so called "Main) in Revision History directly after an Release.  Why ?!

My question to more experienced users: how to get around this problem when exporting drawing so that I can ALWAYS export only the released version of it thus avoiding the "in progress" watermark issue?

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    A workspace is always going to be "active" and is therefore "in progress" by definition, only a version that is immutable can be a release. It takes some getting used to as it's sort of "backwards" from a typical PDM system.

But essentially you just need switch to the correct "release" (triangle) version in the history tree and export from there! Keep in mind you are not actually rolling anything back (unless you do a "restore to main"), you are just viewing the released version.

I find the cleanest way to make sure you are exporting the actual released drawing, right click on the drawing and select "revision history" and then go to "view release" (for the correct revision if there are more than one active) and you can export from there.

If you have multiple related drawings (eg for parts that go together), I find it makes sense to release them in one release, this way you can get to that "Release" from any of them and export them all in one go.

Also note the possibility to setup an "export rule" for automatically naming exported files from properties we use "${partNumber}-${revision} - ${description}", accessed in the "Preferences menu".