Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Help to optimize the design of my part

MathMath Member Posts: 9
edited February 2022 in Using Onshape
Hello,

I would like to desing the following part with OnShape in order to print it with my 3D printer (to replace a broken one).
I start to have a little experience with OnShape, but rather in the design of mechanical parts with more "standard" shape. This part is a bit of a challenge for me.

For now, the result I've optain this available here :
From my point of view, it's a good start, but I feel that the way I've used is not very optimized. I'm pretty sure that it is possible to make more optimized, but I have no idea how ?

The Pathway I used :
1/ Using sketch and projected curve to have the 3 axis of the tubes of the part :

2/ Sketch the 3 tubes and extrude them :

3/ Boolean intersect them to have the "center intersection" of the part

4/ Re-extrude again each tube and add them to the "center intersection part" created at step 3 to have the "outer of the tube"

5/ Repeat step 2 to 4 to design "iner tubes" :

6/ Boolean substract the "iner part" from the "outer part" to obtain the tubes

The result is here, but clearly the process seams not optimized (lot of repetitive task).
And now, I'm stuck : I don't know how to add the reinforcement between the tube that we can see on the original part.
I watch some tutorials about surface modeling like this one: https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/videos/surface-modeling, but I haven't really found a solution to my problem.

So how would you have proceed to design this kind of part ? Have you any advise in which way to go to optimise my model ? And to add the reinforcement between the tube that we can see on the original part ?

Thank a lot for your help.

Math