Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I have all my files locked up in rsdoc format. When will I be able to import them and convert?

florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
Hi, is there any option to import geometry from DesignSpark Mechanical? I have all my designs locked up in the proprietary format and I am kind of trapped in the ecosystem as a consequence.

I can export STLs but that is not geometry.

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    Is STL your only export option? Is STEP, IGES, or Parasolid an option?  Hopefully soon we will have a way to import STL files into Onshape, but for now, it is a limitation.  

Other users have worked around this by importing their STL files into another package (like FreeCAD) and then exporting out of that software.  In fact, another Onshape user has a blog post on this.

http://anoved.net/2015/07/import-stl-models-to-onshape-part-studios-using-freecad/

• Options
    It's not STL that i want to import in onshape,  stl would be a bad option in the first place because it doesn't know assemblies or geometries but only surfaces.  I said that my files are locked in rsdoc format,  a proprietary format that i want to be able to import in onshape as is and start using onshape as CAD app of choice .
  • Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @florian_ford Here is a link to the list of file formats that can be imported into a part or assembly.  Your files will need to be converted to one of these formats to import into Onshape.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#translation.htm%3FTocPath%3DImporting%2520%2526%2520Exporting%2520Files%7C_____4 
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    cody_armstrong: I know what files Onshape can import, I was wondering if there is any plan to support some other closed-source CAD format files with emphasis on rsdoc format. At some point I expect that if Onshape wants to be the revolution it is advertised to have started, it will seamlessly import and export many formats, an ever increasing list of them:).

michał_1: That is actually an obvious solution that somehow evaded me. And that considering that I went to great lengths to find a solution for this up to extracting the geometry data via a series of file conversions like explained on this freecad forum thread.