Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mates lock when slider mate created

Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
Appologies if this has been covered, I've tried some key word searches but haven't found a direct answer, yet.
This question comes from an untrained hobbyist so my errors might be basic.

I have uploaded a model aeroengine (not my work, DLed from a share site along while ago) to try the mates and animate the piston, conrod, crankshaft assembly.

I have fixed the crank case and attached the cylinder liner.  I have applied a Revolute to the crankshaft/crankcase, a Revolute to the crankpin/conrod big end and a Cylindrical to the piston gudgeon pin hole/conrod little end with limitations. There is no gudgeon pin at this time.
 I have these movements working as expected.

When I apply a Slider mate to the piston/cylinder liner the whole mechanism locks.
I can get the piston moving OK in the cylinder but as soon a solve is pressed all Mates go red.

I have tried different types of mates here and selected different items first when creating the mates with no success.
What am I doing wrong in this instance?
Thanks for any help.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Reece_Isaac i suggest you share your model publicly and paste the url here so we can take a look.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    You sound as though you might be specifying the same relationship in two different ways.

If the revolute mates are telling the piston where to be in relation to the endfloat axis of the crankshaft, then a slider mate of the piston in the liner may potentially "fight" with that constraint.

I would probably just edit the revolute mate of the big end to a cylindrical mate, and let the piston dictate where the con rod is along the endfloat axis.

Apologies for the confusion if I have misunderstood: nav's advice is a safer way to ask for clarification.
  • Options
    Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Have tried various permutations to no success. I can get the piston, conrod and crankshaft to relate correctly together or I can get the piston to relate the the cylinder but I can't get everything going together.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7b3b9fa0d9ed4a22aacd7425/w/1027a1c3266847fe8e099acc/e/319c949adc3247bf8df2539b