Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why won't my sweep work on this conical face?

I'm trying to construct a thread on a conical face using a helix and the sweep tool. I've been following the solution in the following discussion: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4905/trouble-sweeping-a-thread-profile-over-a-tapered-spiral-for-bspt-thread

It still doesn't want to generate and is giving me a boolean error.

My profile is smaller than the thread (0.025"). When I try to generate the sweep it takes a while and when it finally does I can see the whole path in red and it looks fine to me! That's what I want it to do but it won't!

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help.

Best Answer

• Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 237
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    @arran_sykes Is this part being 3D printed? If not, it is better to leave the thread model out to increase performance. Instead, note the thread size in a drawing.

Take a look at this approach. I used an offset surface to offset the solid part and extended the offset surface using the move boundary feature.

Next, I applied the helix to the surface not the solid part. This will allow the thread to cut completely through the part after the sweep. 

A few things to also consider, a standard thread is 60 degrees and the tool holder holding the cutting insert is perpendicular to the workpiece. (Image below) 

Hope this helps. let us know how you make out! 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5ae9656c2581d894e1fe3e6c/w/3c0b303fd85dc4551f55f5ca/e/bd9af78e3d4ea8f1dced9938

This technique is covered in the learning center for advanced part modeling. Check it out! 
    Worm Gear Shaft

Answers

• Options
    @arran_sykes Can you please share your document as public? 
  • Options
    arran_sykesarran_sykes Member Posts: 4 EDU
    edited February 2022
    Yes, sorry, I distinctly remember sharing it publicly but it wasn't when I just opened it... Maybe I didn't save it or something.. Either way that's it public now
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    I suspect something with your sketch position but can't verify since shared with out copy/edit ability.
    Here is a working sample that may help with method.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cb2bcd844a298bdf747100bc/w/98472c696ada5bf510cb4476/e/9bc8254b57bd50a9c814793e
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    I repositioned the thread sketch at the beginning of the helix to simplify position on default plane.
    Would suggest leaving helix pitch at 1 until all else is completed and verified then reset finer at the end to speed up over all process.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7f06ae181f7f81867527e1ba/w/d892968e97e227b11258b2dd/e/b64cff6e625782cfa140c39e
  • Options
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    @arran_sykes Is this part being 3D printed? If not, it is better to leave the thread model out to increase performance. Instead, note the thread size in a drawing.

Take a look at this approach. I used an offset surface to offset the solid part and extended the offset surface using the move boundary feature.

Next, I applied the helix to the surface not the solid part. This will allow the thread to cut completely through the part after the sweep. 

A few things to also consider, a standard thread is 60 degrees and the tool holder holding the cutting insert is perpendicular to the workpiece. (Image below) 

Hope this helps. let us know how you make out! 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5ae9656c2581d894e1fe3e6c/w/3c0b303fd85dc4551f55f5ca/e/bd9af78e3d4ea8f1dced9938

This technique is covered in the learning center for advanced part modeling. Check it out! 
    Worm Gear Shaft
  • Options
    arran_sykesarran_sykes Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Thank you both, I really appreciate both of your time! I'd spent a while trying to figure that out. Also, John your answer is far more detailed than I'd expected which is really great and helped a lot. I'll definitely checkout the tutorial, I'm a little overdue on my tutorials I done the more basic ones then jumped straight into the drawings.

The part is being 3D printed since I'm trying to make something that will screw into a circular thread so that when it's screwed in it will clamp down on to a ferrule to hold it in place. I'll hopefully be printing it tomorrow if not next week.

Also, sorry for the delay I've been working on other things the past few days