Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Non-owner team member moving document between folders (owned by other account) shared via team?

alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
I could swear that anyone on a team used to be able to move documents between shared folders that are owned by the same account. Now it seems you can't do that unless you're signed in with the owner's account.

Did this just change, or is it deja vu?

In other words:
  1. Folder A owned by Person A has "Some Document" and the folder is shared with a team.
  2. Folder B is owned by Person A, and it's shared with the same team.
  3. Then, Person B, who is in the team (but not the owner of the folders), transfers "Some Document" from Folder A to Folder B.
Use case: For our university underwater robotics team, we have a shared/team account that owns five folders (old stuff, last year's robot, this year's robot, a parts library, and buildings/facilities). Everyone moves their work into the folders. This ensures everyone automatically has edit, export, etc. permissions on everything and prevents a bunch of chaotic individual documents from cluttering up the "My Onshape" page. However, sometimes, it's necessary to move things between folders (e.g. copy of standard part for a one-off modification, something for this year's robot becomes a standard part, accidental doc creation, etc.). It seems that now the moves need to be done by our "admin"/team account and individuals can't make the moves anymore.
Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com

Answers

• Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    When a document is moved into a folder, the ownership of the document is transferred to the owner of the folder. Since the owner is the only user allowed to transfer ownership, they are the only ones that would be able to move it into a different top level folder. 

However, if you had all of your separate folders nested into one team folder, then team members would be able to move the documents around since they wouldn't be moving the document out of the top level folder. 

Also, that sounds like a really cool use case! We'd love to see the work your team is doing.
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    edited February 2022
    @Domenico_DiMare thanks for the info! However, this wouldn't be transferring ownership since the target folder is owned by the same account as the origin folder. I'm 95% sure that I remember top-level folders owned by the same owner not being grayed out in the "move to" menu previously, but maybe I am just imagining things...

The single top-level folder does sound like a possible solution, but I think this will add an extra click every time you want to access some document.

As for our ROV, here is what it looks like currently:

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Looks like this was fixed/returned to earlier functionality in the latest update. Huge boost to organization functionality!