Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to make a spring work or at least simulate it?

owen_sabala198owen_sabala198 Member Posts: 8 EDU
edited February 2022 in General
I'm currently making a v8 DOHC engine and I'm on the step of making the valves and camshafts. I modeled the valve and valve spring, but realized I don't know how to use them as it should be. Is there any way to simulate that when the camshaft hits the valve, it opens then springs back in place when it releases? I'm not looking for extreme accuracy, just for it to work and look somewhat how it actually would. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0ff580ae7babfb00179fb540/w/2225ba71d04708a55d72dcba/e/f9c7569094cc2523bc420e6a
Tagged:

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There isn't any built-in animation or "motors" in OS per se. However, you can simulate a lot of different motion profiles by mating to hidden dummy parts. This often involves using a tangent mate to a hidden surface.
  • owen_sabala198owen_sabala198 Member Posts: 8 EDU
    edited February 2022
    mahir said:
    There isn't any built-in animation or "motors" in OS per se. However, you can simulate a lot of different motion profiles by mating to hidden dummy parts. This often involves using a tangent mate to a hidden surface.
    I don't really understand. I'm animating the crankshaft mate which will be connected to the camshaft using gears to move everything. How do I make the camshaft "collide" and with the valves and then have them "spring back" at the release using the hidden parts?
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    You should be able to use tangent mates to have a valve follow cam in the assembly.
    What you can't do is show a spring deforming as this happens. There was a radial engine assembly with proper cam-follower motion but I can't seem to find it for some reason.
    Check some of the recorded webinars on mates.
  • owen_sabala198owen_sabala198 Member Posts: 8 EDU
    Works perfectly, just what I was looking for. Thank you.
  • wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    You could make the spring in context and create a context for each different position.