Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating polygon surfaced bottle?

I have a student who wishes to create a polygon surfaced bottle design.
This is well beyond my current capability!
Something like this!

Any ideas?!
Thanks
prosthetic knowledge  Diamond Polygon mineral-water packaging design

Answers

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can try this feature - Convex polyhedron to create faceted body. To make underlying array of points for polyhedron vertices you can create custom feature which takes random or pseudo-random array of 2d vectors in format vector(u, v), where u and v are between 0 and 1, and creates underlying rotational (or possibly even arbitrary) surface and evaluate origins of face tangent planes of that surface and creates 3d point bodies at this vectors. Then box-select created vertices and it should generate the faceted section solid.

• matthew_padgham194matthew_padgham194 Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Hi,
    Fantastic, thank you - I think I can see how you have created the shapes and will give this a go after copying over the custom feature.
    Such quick support!!
    Thanks again
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited February 2022
    I find that Konstantin's feature (he didn't say so, but he wrote it) works well in conjunction with my 3D points feature for the inputs. This would give you pretty fine control over exactly how it looks, since you can drag each point into place.

If you want something faster (but with less control, and harder-to-understand features), you could try another workflow (example) using my Attractor Pattern feature, which can already populate a face with some solid bodies on a pseudo-random grid. In my case I used a cone, so I could box select the tips in Convex Polyhedron without picking anything else (since it filters for only vertices and the tip is the only vertex on a cone).

I've been curious to create a feature that creates a Delaunay triangulation, and maybe even add that to Attractor Pattern but it seems a bit above my head at the moment. Maybe @konstantin_shiriazdanov could crack it.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Thanks for the extra support Evan. I can see how you have created the shape but can't seem to 'find' the custom features (cone & attractor pattern) when I open a new part studio and look to 'add custom features' and have to search from my 'OnShape' etc.
    Thanks again
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Hit the + icon                                                                                                          And you see the new icon in the top bar

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Here's how I navigate to custom features from inside a doc they've been used in. This one takes a bit long to load because there's a lot going on in that document.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Thanks to both Dirk & Evan - making more sense now!