Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem with animating mates, movement is fine with mouse

Moving the camshaft works correctly with the valves when using my mouse but when I try to animate the mate, it shows an instanced may be contained error. it twitched back and forth from 7 to 14 degrees and will not spin. Can anyone figure out why?  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0ff580ae7babfb00179fb540/w/2225ba71d04708a55d72dcba/e/f9c7569094cc2523bc420e6a 

Answers

• Options
    matthew_mueller537matthew_mueller537 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    edited February 2022
    Hi Owen.

Great model! Thanks for sharing.

The fasten mate that is throwing the error seems to be between two parts that are "fixed", so that would over-constrain the model.

For the animation, I'm guessing that you're trying to animate the revolute mate between the piston arm and the piston head, which only rotates between 7 and 14 degrees when the engine is running. Try animating one of the mates within the crank shaft - it works perfectly well for me.

Matt
  • Options
    owen_sabala198owen_sabala198 Member Posts: 8 EDU
    edited February 2022
    Hi Owen.

Great model! Thanks for sharing.

The fasten mate that is throwing the error seems to be between two parts that are "fixed", so that would over-constrain the model.

For the animation, I'm guessing that you're trying to animate the revolute mate between the piston arm and the piston head, which only rotates between 7 and 14 degrees when the engine is running. Try animating one of the mates within the crank shaft - it works perfectly well for me.

Matt
    That's actually not what I had the problem with. The crank and pistons work fine, Its the camshafts and valves I'm having issues with. The crank and cams will be connected at some point using gears but for now I'm trying to make sure that each animated part works separately before making them all work together. The mate I am trying to animate currently I have renamed to "cam 3". It is the actual camshaft that twitches between 7 and 14, but only after adding all the tangent mates from valve springs to camshaft lobes.
  • Options
    owen_sabala198owen_sabala198 Member Posts: 8 EDU
    edited February 2022
    Here is the mate I am talking about. The mate is between the camshaft and a hidden part.
  • Options
    nicholas_radzykewycznicholas_radzykewycz Member Posts: 30 PRO
    @owen_sabala198 The issue is with your tangent mates. You need to delete the fastened mates between the valves and the cam shaft, then add a slider mate between the valve pin and valve shaft. Now edit the tangent mate like so:
    It has to be the edge of the cam face and the face of the valve pin. Now you should get 360 degree rotation.