Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Workflow for CNC

ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 101 PRO
Hello,
Is there a recommended workflow, maybe with the use of feature script to prepare files for CNC milling? (I'm already using Autolayout). 
The problem I'm facing is with exporting 2D DXF files- The lines are not jointed/welded. Also Need to manually select all the geometry which gets very time consuming with many parts over multiple sheets of material.

Thank you

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO
    edited February 2022
    This may be out of your scope, but you could try using some CAM software that utilizes solid models instead of drawings: Hypermill, Mastercam. Some of the apps in the app store are "connected" to Onshape. I will admit, none of them are any good. I have not found a "Onshape CAM Studio" yet.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,386 PRO
    I hesitate to mention this, but if all you need to do is fix up the DXF files, Ares Kudo (in the Onshape app store) might be able to do it. I was never an AutoCAD user, so I feel like a fish out of water in the tool, but maybe it would work for you. The cost isn't too bad ($9/month).

Also if you can afford it, Rhino is a fantastic swiss army knife of the CAD world that has a tool for everything. There's probably some quick way to do it in Rhino.
  • Options
    Thank you guys very much. I think for now my best option is to create sketches in Onshape with different "layers" and then export to CAM.
    Otherwise, I think Fusion 360 is an options but would suck since so much much will be wasted for a whole CAD system I won't be using.....
  • Options
    edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    @ben_partouch Are you CNCing sheet goods?  If so you may want to look at Vectric software (runs on Windows).  I use VcarvePro, their mid-level product, for profiling, holes and pockets on flat stock starting with DXF or PDF exports from Onshape.  Joining vectors and other simple manipulations before generating toolpaths are quick and easy.  For 3D their toolpath options are not as extensive as high-end CAM.  
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Try this one,
    https://carveco.com/
    This is very good for 2d milling and engraving.
    Simple to operate and no problem's importing DXF
  • Options
    I am CNCing sheet goods and actually currently using Vcarve Pro. 
    It's ok for very low volume but once we want to process few whole kitchens a day, the workflow from Onshape to Vcarve is becoming very time consuming. Especially because Onshape exports lines as individuals so I need to manually join them together. To do this for a lot of pieces just complicate things and takes to long. 

I will look into Carveco as well. 

Thank you!
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Especially because Onshape exports lines as individuals so I need to manually join them together??

This sounds very weird to me, have you tried RMB and than export DXF?
  • Options
    This will work when you have few parts. I have 100....