Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to change the "arc" of an ellipse?

kay_bursigkay_bursig Member Posts: 12
Hallo.
When sketching an ellipse you can change the witdh and hight. But I need a defined "arc" so to speak. Can I define 2 points on the ellipse and squeeze/stretch them and keep the ellipse proportional?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,387 PRO
    Not sure I understand what you're trying to do. A picture would probably be worth the proverbial 1000 words. 

That said, would a conic section help?
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/conic.htm

Or perhaps you need a full ellipse and you're just trying to control it with points on the ellipse, which you can do:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Yes you both got it. When I add 1 point to the "arc" I can change the look of the whole ellipse. If I add a second point it won't allow me to change the value. Instead of changing the "arc" it changes the position of the point.

What I need is: the middle point with 2.4 is correct, the left point (where it says 1.933) has to be 2.3 at that X coordinate

• Options
    @kay_bursig

Those points are missing any x dimensions. The center point is also not fully constrained. Try working with "Show constraints" turned on. It may help you understand what's going on.

• Options
    Ok, I tried it wth constraints. If I change the x value from your "2" to more, the whole ellipse grows. Let`s say instead of your x=2 I take 4.5 and instead of my 1.667 we take 2.3 :p ... I dont get it to work look like in my sketch.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    @kay_bursig
    That wouldn't be an ellipse anymore!

If you want a shape like this maybe use a spline instead (and mirror it if needed)?
  • Options
    @kay_bursig

Your sketch implies something which can be done with a conic or splines, but not a true ellipse. I'm still not sure what you're trying to do, but is this closer? Unfortunately, Rho is required in Onshape. It will not solve for Rho, so I had to iterate to get something closer to the proportions you have in your sketch.

• Options
    Aha, so there's the problem :)  I'm autodidact, so these basics I missed. I want to 3D print an adapter, thats what I need it for.

I tried it with the conic and mirrored it. That works.

Thank you guys very much!