Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing of part not on a standard plane

0xB767B0xB767B Member Posts: 4
Hey folks

I am new to onshape and to CAD and I like it very much :smile: 

Now I have run into a problem with my first design:

I want to create drawings of my parts that are not on a standard plane (XY, YZ, XZ) to be relative to a standard plane. Searching the forum, I have found some hints (some somewhat old and maybe not "state of the art" anymore). I also found https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6867/view-part-to-normal-to-a-face-in-drawings and https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/tech-tips/tech-tip-using-named-views hinting to use named views.

Is this the way to go? Do I really have to create a named view for every part (three named views per part if I want all three views)? This seems to be a bit cumbersome to me... But to my excuse, I am a complete CAD newbie :blush:

Many thanks in advance for your support!

Comments

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 482 PRO
    @0xB767B
     I would recommend thinking through some of that before starting a design, circles are often easy to get a normal to drawing without creating views, verticals and horizontals not so much. However, no you do not need to create a named view for every part in your parts studio, all your leg parts are parallel planes so create one named view and use that for all those parts. The circular parts can be done with the defaults unless you need a certain orientation for the holes.   
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

@0xB767B

Take a look at this approach
    Not nearly as many steps within the feature tree or instances or mate features within the assembly.
    You might find this way or something similar, a little easier to wrap your head around

• Options
    0xB767B0xB767B Member Posts: 4

Thanks a lot for taking time to provide me with not just an example but with a complete design! Very much appreciated :::smile:

At first, I was quite baffled seeing only six features in your design. But I am getting the sense of your approach. Very elegant (still looking and trying to understand the constraints you used in the first sketch). What I do not understand is why you made a separate Sketch 2 for Hole 1 instead of using the Points in Sketch 1?

May I ask in what order you drew Sketch 1? Did you start from the top or did you start from your "ground" construction line and make your way upwards?

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    @0xB767B

Take a look at the 5 GIFs below the text in this post

Here are 5 GIF’s that show one way you can make the sketch. There’s numerous ways

Now I’ve gotta mention here that the reason these GIFs are jerky, is because of the GIF app I’m using to make them

I do most of my work on the iPhone. And that includes with Onshape. Also my video editing and making of GIFs is all done on my old iPhone 8 Plus

Unfortunately the GIF app is not the best. It’s the best I could find for the iPhone. But it’s not the greatest because it’s really only set up to make GIFs that are 20 seconds long maximum at 10 frames per second.

So to make these GIFs, I start with video captures. And with this, I ended up with five videos roughly around one minute long.

These video screen captures are at 48 frames per second. The videos look wonderful — they look fantastic. It’s what happens once I try to make a GIF out of them using that iPhone GIF app

So if I have a video that’s one minute long, that GIF app is only gonna let me use 200 frames at the max for that one minute video that was originally at 48 FPS. Which means each of these GIFs is only going to show about 3.3 frames per second

In other words there are a tremendous amount of dropped frames as I went from 48 frames per second on the original video down to 3.3 frames in the GIFs

But that’s the best I could do unless I were to try and do something on my MacBook Pro. And frankly I do this stuff at night while I’m watching movies. During commercials and what not. 

And I don’t wanna be sitting at a desk late at night. That’s why I’m not gonna be doing this on a Mac

So I’m sorry the jerkiness of the GIFs, but that’s the best I’m gonna be able to do

I wish the Onshape forum would allow me to post videos directly to it. Because I don’t use anything like YouTube. I don’t have my own channel. And I don’t have any kind of thing in the cloud where I post big files

Anyways, you should be able to see much of what I’m doing other than where a frame has been dropped every now and then

But take note that you will see the order or sequence in which I did things. And take note that what you see is being done in real time. Although frames are being dropped — the timing stays the same. So the videos totaled up to roughly around five minutes. And that’s what the GIF’s total up to

Long story short, the shakiness of these GIF’s has nothing to do with Onshape. The program works great and is very smooth