Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Slack Integration?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
edited March 2022 in General
What would an integration between Onshape and Slack look like? 

1. Comments delivered and replied to in Slack
  2. Requests for approvals/approvals/release notifications in Slack
  3. Links to documents show image or 3D preview
  4. ...???

Tagged:

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Adding on to my own post...

Although I like the idea of tasks in Onshape, I also wonder about integrations between Onshape and Jira/Asana/Trello/Monday, etc.. It could be nice to not have to look in multiple places to track down what I need to do.
  • Gideon_PaullGideon_Paull Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Hi @S1mon
    I like your thinking with regards to Tasks.
    Currently, on their own, Onshape tasks do not quite fit into a company's standard business processes. However, if they were to integrate into existing task management systems where, for instance a designer could see the assigned tasks in Onshape and update the status of tasks with a bi-directional integration - this would have a lot of value.
    I believe that such an integration would be reasonably straightforward once the APIs for creating and updating Tasks are publicly available. All of the systems that you mention above have REST APIs available so this should be reasonably straightforward to customize.
  • Gideon_PaullGideon_Paull Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    S1mon said:
    What would an integration between Onshape and Slack look like? 

1. Comments delivered and replied to in Slack
    2. Requests for approvals/approvals/release notifications in Slack
    3. Links to documents show image or 3D preview
    4. ...???

For sure an integration with Slack is possible - in fact there might be some people out there who have already done their own custom integrations to Slack. 
    I think that currently the most common use case is for notifications on release or obsoletion. I do like the idea of using Slack to notify of comments and reply to them - this is currently possible with the published REST APIs. I'm fairly sure that Slack's APIs will support this as well. Once Task APIs are available, notification of Task assignment and completion  is also a use case that I could see as bringing value to many people.
    Obviously this is not something that is standard in the product but could be developed by anyone with some knowledge of programming and REST APIs.