Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Spontaneous Fillet Generation

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
Here is where I have selected the fillets for my part:

The view is looking lengthwise; if, like me, your brain goes completely Necker Cube on pictures like this, the left hand side is the front end and the right hand side is the rear edge, and we are looking from underneath the part.  Here's a screenshot of the part at roughly the same angle of view

Notice where I put the fillets.  The edge nearest us will be mated to another part, so I want the outside corners to all be square.  So this is exactly what I want to have.  Note that I have turned of "tangent propagate" and "allow edge overflow" and yet I get the spontaneous fillets on the endpiece.  If I wanted them there, I would have asked for them.  I did not.

When mated to the other part, it looks like this, which is not at all what I intended.  Although these are two separate parts for modeling, they will be printed as a single 3D part, and the fillet provides a convenient shear point, which is also not what is intended.

So this is another instance of a fillet propagating to somewhere I don't want it to propagate to.  Also, there are edges I can't fillet because the fillet just gets rejected

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to keep those corners sharp. If you'd like me to take a peek, will you make the doc public and share a link so people can troubleshoot? 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl