Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I create a sheet metal drawing from this loft model ?

richard_joyrichard_joy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I understand that the sheet metal feature does not have a loft option but did not understand the workarounds. I would like to create a sheet metal model from https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b84d6ad0575f2aee8f4c1d2/w/0b80712e5763150ee821387b/e/788a026608c0d1dfea8bf1b0

Best Answer

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,699 PRO
    Answer ✓
    What I am trying to achieve is a polygon at one end that fits in a circle to a polygon with the same number of sides at the smaller end but fits in an ellipse. While it seems to be possible to create the 3d model using loft it does not allow me to generate a sheet metal model from it. When you say "planar" does it mean that the sides at each end have to be proportionally the same ?.
    Planar means all 4 corners of the face are in the same plane: another way to look at it is that there has to be a direction you can look at the face where it is just a line, if you can't find it it's not planar!
    You literally cannot flatten a face like the one you have in there without stretching material so you wouldn't be able to make this from sheet metal by just creating bends (there is a subset of non-planar faces that can be flattened called developable surfaces but that's another topic!).

It should be possible to do by splitting the faces into two triangular faces but the sheet metal tool seems to have a hard time with the sharp corners it creates so it takes some extra work to remove the corners before creating the sheet metal (they can be "mostly" closed up after the fact like this:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3013a50090f24bc3f28b0845/w/be90e6c8aab573cdadc8f21a/e/0d4fc58cbac2619d3bfb1ad2

Answers

The four "corner" faces are not planar and can therefore not be "flattened", you need to ensure they are planar first (or split them into two planar triangles but that would be harder to make...)

Something like this (obviously it can't be quite the same shape though...)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3013a50090f24bc3f28b0845/w/be90e6c8aab573cdadc8f21a/e/0d4fc58cbac2619d3bfb1ad2
  • richard_joyrichard_joy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    What I am trying to achieve is a polygon at one end that fits in a circle to a polygon with the same number of sides at the smaller end but fits in an ellipse. While it seems to be possible to create the 3d model using loft it does not allow me to generate a sheet metal model from it. When you say "planar" does it mean that the sides at each end have to be proportionally the same ?.
    Answer ✓
    Planar means all 4 corners of the face are in the same plane: another way to look at it is that there has to be a direction you can look at the face where it is just a line, if you can't find it it's not planar!
    You literally cannot flatten a face like the one you have in there without stretching material so you wouldn't be able to make this from sheet metal by just creating bends (there is a subset of non-planar faces that can be flattened called developable surfaces but that's another topic!).

It should be possible to do by splitting the faces into two triangular faces but the sheet metal tool seems to have a hard time with the sharp corners it creates so it takes some extra work to remove the corners before creating the sheet metal (they can be "mostly" closed up after the fact like this: