Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Compound Angle Design Fabrication

james_bonneyjames_bonney Member Posts: 10
edited March 2022 in Community Support

I am trying to design a roof hatch that I can fabricate from common lumber or possibly plywood.
I have been trying to figure out how to model this in a way that will allow me to derive a cut sheet with parts that I can fabricate with common shop tools.
I think I will ultimately need to do some tinkering with compound angles to arrive at a solution, but I am having trouble getting much further.

I set up the constraints of my roof opening and the skylight.
The skylight will be attached to a frame that hinges from the taller side of hatch.
The pitch of the skylight will reduce opportunities for leaks and allow for a smaller edge for egress.

Initially, I located my skylight and roof opening and then lofted the the two rectangles to create a solid between.
I shelled the solid and came to a form with smooth interior and exterior edges and surfaces.
Then, I realized the curved form would be difficult to recreate in real life, so I moved on.

Next, I started to play with triangles. Which yielded something more feasible from the outside.
But inside the shell feature created disjointed faces and edges that I can't figure how to resolve.

I created another version with an additional face, but it has the same problem with edges and faces that do not meet on the interior.

Once, can arrive at interior faces with shared edges I should be able to split them into parts that can be crafted.
Does anyone have suggestions for how to produce the desired geometry using the shell feature or an entirely different work flow?

Thank you

Best Answers

Answers