Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I dimension an extrusion?

megan_knaubmegan_knaub Member Posts: 4 EDU
I made a sketch that has all of the dimensions I want, and the extrusion is also the right depth, but I want to make one end of it taper off and I want to dimension between two lines on it. How do I do this?

Best Answer

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    You can't directly dimension an extrusion, but there are lots of ways to go about this by dimensioning sketches that will produce an accurate model.

A link to a publicly shared document would go a long way for trouble shooting your specific scenario. Based on what you've said, it's hard to get an idea of what you're attempting to do. Can you just use the draft angle within the Extrude feature to get your desired results? Or you could do your initial extrude, and then sketch on the side and use a second extrude to cut away the material you don't want.

In this example, I make a few sketches, and use an extrude feature and a loft feature to get something like what I understand you to mean. Though, if this is exactly what you mean, you could achieve the same thing with one extrude, and a 2 length chamfer feature.

Answers

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    You can't directly dimension an extrusion, but there are lots of ways to go about this by dimensioning sketches that will produce an accurate model.

A link to a publicly shared document would go a long way for trouble shooting your specific scenario. Based on what you've said, it's hard to get an idea of what you're attempting to do. Can you just use the draft angle within the Extrude feature to get your desired results? Or you could do your initial extrude, and then sketch on the side and use a second extrude to cut away the material you don't want.

In this example, I make a few sketches, and use an extrude feature and a loft feature to get something like what I understand you to mean. Though, if this is exactly what you mean, you could achieve the same thing with one extrude, and a 2 length chamfer feature.

• Options
    megan_knaubmegan_knaub Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Thank you. The example was actually super helpful and I really appreciate your help!