Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"Face-face" fillet?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
Other CAD systems have the concept of a face-face fillet where you chose two faces (which don't need to intersect or be solid) and it constructs a fillet between then. In some cases, you'll need to tell it which direction to try to apply the fillet because there is more than one possible solution.

Onshape has a full-round which requires a third reference, but is missing a face-face fillet. 

Is there a custom FeatureScript out there which does face-face fillets?

I also did a quick search and didn't see and references or improvement requests for this.

Answers

• Options
    I've created an improvement request.
  • Options
    angelo_scozzarellaangelo_scozzarella Member Posts: 58 EDU
    Maybe I didn’t understand your question, but i know a feature C2C Full Round Fillet. Do you know it?
  • Options
    I'm very familiar with the full round feature.

Here's the help for the Solidworks version of what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    angelo_scozzarellaangelo_scozzarella Member Posts: 58 EDU
    Sorry, I didn’t understand correctly.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I voted for it. I've missed it sometimes.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think @angelo_scozzarella talked about our FS Full round (Our company previuos name was Close 2 circle --> C2C)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH2x_dxKRQA

This FS is still usefull in some cases, such as when working with sheet metal parts, where the Onshape feature doesn't work.

But it doesn't solve the face-face fillet
    In this case, maybe you can use delete face and then fillet

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    @emagdalenaC2i
    That's an interesting FeatureScript, and useful for sheetmetal, but it would not solve the issue I was having. 

If I could get delete face/heal to work, I would have done that. Where a Face-Face fillet is especially useful is when the underlying faces don't want to extend to intersect, but a large enough fillet will fill the gap or replace the faces that are in between.