Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Drawing note editing performance is insanely bad

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
I've already put in a support ticket for this, but is it typical that typing text into a note takes 5-10 seconds to appear? The cursor bounces while I'm typing, and it doesn't seem to be dropping characters, but it makes it very difficult to edit a note. I'm on a fast connection (~300/12 Mbps down/up) and the reported latency from the Onshape servers is ~40ms. I'm on a M1Max MacBook Pro with the latest OS and Chrome.

It seems to be related to the amount of text in the note. Perhaps this was only tested with a note block that says "BREAK ALL SHARP EDGES."?!? A typical note block on a production drawing is more like an 8.5"x11" page of text.

I've had better text editing performance on a teletype with a 300 baud acoustically coupled modem.

Comments

• Options
    I've been informed that this is a known bug. I'm very curious if this has been like this for a long time, or if it's new, unexpected behavior? (I'm just starting to work on real drawing notes and templates, and honestly hadn't tested this before with Onshape)
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had notes quite that long, but it has always felt a little laggy/slow to me, even with smaller notes. Same with tables. 

Can be frustrating to type out a sentence, wait a second for it to show up, then see a typo in the first word. 

I haven't reported anything, because it was always just "slow" but manageable. 
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    Its interesting, I'm coming from ProE/Creo. That program when you made a drawing note, it would open an old fashioned dialog window for you to do the typing. Then you'd hit done, and the note would show up in the drawing. It was like that from the 90's till about 2010. It worked great, no lag or any issues. Then around 2010 or so, PTC changed it so there was no dialog box, and you typed directly in the drawing. It was horrible. The key stroke lag was so bad.

I wonder if there is something similar going on in OS because it types directly to the drawing rather than in a dialog box.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 520
    I've written a bug against this to see if we may have regressed something.  
  • Options
    @nick_papageorge073 You're triggering my Pro/E PTSD. Just don't mention "Done", "Done-Return", "Return" or failure mode.

It does seem like that sort of thing. However they're rendering the text, it gets a lot slower the more that's there. Other web-based tools - Google Docs, Office 365, Figma, Miro, etc - all seem to handle blocks of stylized text well. They also handle fonts with a lot more unicode characters.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    Interesting, I haven't noticed text being too slow, but I haven't put more than a couple of lines in one go...

Drawings are generally a bit sluggish but at least editing tables seems reasonably quick (unlike SW where there is 1/2 second delay between hitting enter and moving the next table row!)

While we are talking about text, how about adding support for user fonts...