Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate connector step 14 Intro to CAD Designing a Skateboard bolt flips or is raised?

Cannot seem to get the bolt to countersink even though countersink is selected. Bolt flips when you go to insert it or is raised and won't allow you to lower it into place....

Answers

• Options
    jennifer_kuhowskijennifer_kuhowski Member Posts: 10
    Was there an answer to this? I'm completing the skateboard with my students and we can NOT get the screw to countersink. Same issue as above.
  • Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    Hi @mary_jo_nicholson and @jennifer_kuhowski!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have added this issue to the list of improvements we plan to make to the curriculum.

The step we need to add to the instructions is to use the SHIFT key. Holding the SHIFT key will keep the inferenced mate connector points that show up when you are hovering over the hole active as you move your mouse to the correct inferenced mate connector point.

Have the students hover their cursor over the chamfer of the countersunk hole. They should see something similar to this image, with four inferenced mate connector points:

Then, they will need to press and hold the SHIFT key. This will keep those same four points active.

Now, they can move their cursor down to the bottom of the four points while still holding the SHIFT key.

Finally, they can left-click to place an fasten the bolt. 

Sorry for any inconvenience and please let us know if you have any comments/suggestions. 

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 214 PRO
    Domenico's explanation is spot on!  Here is a GIF of that process.

• Options
    jennifer_kuhowskijennifer_kuhowski Member Posts: 10
    Was there an answer to this? I'm completing the skateboard with my students and we can NOT get the screw to countersink. Same issue as above.
    Are there any tricks to lowering the bolt without having it flip?