Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate overdefines the assembly

I'm having trouble with this persistent error when trying to assemble the multiple crossbars in this accordion mirror mount:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4fb8e1e32974bcd3a48e7f9c/w/f0568ddaaf682f1a718cdc82/e/29f34268a04d44e258e8a465?renderMode=0&uiState=623a8dd760de9a43e104ec92
Yesterday I got the cylinder mates to slide and rotate with one set of crossbars each but today not even that.
I'm still learning, what am I missing?

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    Seems like it's working now. 

Depending on how many linkages you want to have, it may be worth simplifying things by using fewer mates. After the first X, all the rest of the links really only need one revolute mate and a parallel mate. The pins can just be fastened to holes. Although Onshape is encouraging you to model things based on how they physically work, keep in mind that the fewer complex simultaneous equations that it needs to go through to come up with the right position, the better. If you think of the parts and mates as a graph of nodes, the less deep, the better.