Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheetmetal welding unwinding

Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
Hello everyone,

I´ve tried to weld a part to a sheetmetal part. I created both (the sheetmetal part and the weldingpart) in one part-studio as 1 part (because it has to be one single part). Now I need an unfolded drawing but the extern feature isnt shown in the drawing. (Its because the sheet metal part was finished before I created the feature). How can I show the welded part to the sheetmetal part in the unfolded drawing?

The green marked has to be welded to the yellow marked. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/393e8f16873f509d9503b519/w/7c263d4029a381021e4aca0d/e/abf84eda777993e2b2cfec04

If it´s not possible to combine these parts into 1 sheetmetal part, how am I suppost to show the complete part in one unfolding-drawing?

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter

Best Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You can't do this in Onshape currently...
    If you want to show where it goes you could "cheat" by having a sketched circle for part 2 on the drawing (and when looking at the flat head on you can't tell if it's 3D or not...)
    But more importantly, in the "real world" you would bend the part first and then weld the Part2 afterwards so in this case I'm not sure why you would need to show part 2 on the flat view. It's a different story with formed feature etc that Onshape really needs to be able to show on flat patterns but it shouldn't be an issue here.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree with @dirk_van_der_vaart that you could make a part studio 2 to depict the 2 parts together.

Another way I would approach, is save a .dxf in an onshape tab with the exporting the bend lines option checked. In part studio 2, create a sketch by inserting the .dxf of the flat pattern to start creating the part. This way you have your bend lines in a sketch that you can show and dimension to in the drawing.

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Answers