Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Releases, Part Studios, Workflows, etc..

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
edited April 2022 in General
Background: We have enterprise. We're using documents which have multiple parts in them. Usually a single part studio per document, but not always. When we make a release, we're almost never going to be releasing all the parts in the document at once. Usually just one or a few at a time.

The release notifications and links back to the document are not that helpful if you don't know what you're looking for. The release emails don't list the parts. I have to go into the release dialog itself to see what was released. This seems really broken.

Here's my favorite part of the release notifications - please tell me, WTF has been released here? We have part names, we have part numbers, we have revisions, we have all kinds of metadata, can't we put it in the notification? Is it on me to manually name the release after the part name? Emails like this will cause my users to ignore or filter them. It doesn't tell them much of anything.

When I click on a part from the release dialog, I go to the correct version of the document, but then I'm on my own. If I have a part studio with 40 parts, I have to search around to find the part or parts which are in the release. I realize there are the triangles in the parts list, but shouldn't there be a quicker way to isolate just the parts which were released in that version?

It has  crossed my mind to hide all the parts except for the ones in the release when creating the release candidate version. Then in the workspace, make everything visible again. That at least would provide some very obvious breadcrumbs back to what was released.

It really feels like the release management team is focused on one document per part, but the team that sells us on the magic of part studios is on a different planet. Yes, they managed to make releases work for a multipart document, but it's not at all friendly for a light novice user.

I'd love to be wrong about this. Is there a better way to manage things?

Comments

• Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO

+1

Release Management is long overdue for improvements, as we grow our implementation and advanced projects, is hindering the advantages we see in early development. Having to deal with everything in with "Documents" as the only container is almost like just having "Folders" in a file based system. 
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    e_g_ee_g_e Member Posts: 11 PRO
    @S1mon

I guess you already know, but just in case: right clicking on the release in the history tree lets you view all the objects released at that time.

Anyway, agree about the e-mails. They could give more info about the part- and revision numbers.