Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I want to split body temporary to print

okitoxookitoxo Member Posts: 1 EDU
I have pieces that I want to split on serveral parts to print but I don't want that it affect on assembly studio or visualitation. How can I split bodies temporary or organize that?

Best Answer

• Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @okitoxo
    I would create a new Part Studio and import the original part with the "Derived" command.

Then you can apply the splits and maybe other features you need to print the separate parts, without affecting the original part.

Answers

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
    Use the split tool to split your parts, export for printing and then suppress the split (right click on the Split in the history tree and select suppress). Suppressing the Split will make in inactive and 'ignored' in your model but you can always un-suppress it to make it active again

• Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @okitoxo
    I would create a new Part Studio and import the original part with the "Derived" command.

Then you can apply the splits and maybe other features you need to print the separate parts, without affecting the original part.
  • Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    I think I would do @GWS50 's approach, but just make it a configuration that defaults to not-split. That way it doesn't affect any existing instances in assemblies, but you can easily switch back and forth when you want.

But @sebastian_glanzner 's approach is great too. I can imagine some circumstances for which having two separate part studios would be a lot more convenient.