Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Using Mesh Bodies in Assemblies

hunter_reed887hunter_reed887 Member Posts: 3 EDU
Hello, I have just started using Onshape and was wondering if I could use a mesh body in an assembly. I have one waiting in a part studio, but I can't insert it into an assembly or do really anything with it. I am an education user and cannot purchase Pro. I don't know if mesh in assemblies is a Pro feature or not, but I would like to know a way to, Pro or not. Can somebody help me?

Comments

• Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    It doesnt depend if you have a educational or a pro license. I think this isn´t functional in Onshape right now. But you can create an Improvement Request.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Mixed Modelling in on the way which means we should soon be able to use meshes in assemblies. In the meantime you will need to decimate (reduce the face count) your model down to around 50,000 faces and use FreeCad to trun it into a STEP file. There are several utube videos that show you how to do this.
    STEP files in this that are converted from an STL file can be quite large so keeping the face count down to around 50th is a good idea.
    Meshlab is good for decimation and Meshmixer is good for repairing STLs and OBJs.
    Both are free to use as is FreeCad.