Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Roundng of edges on complex surfaces

alberto_ferraronialberto_ferraroni Member Posts: 6
Dear Onshape Community,
I need to round some edges on a surface made by different splines. The fillet command seems not to work in this specific case. Does anyone has an idea how I could do? My idea is to round this surface (wing tip):

Here is the link to the part Studio:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/41f5dbd616e27d35acc7eb34/w/7a352171e6e4446fdb6e5c25/e/b81bc5c07da71252439f65e4

Thank you all for your support
Alberto 

Comments

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    @alberto_ferraroni
      If you are just trying to round off the sharp edges then try the fillet tool, uncheck the box for tangent propagation and reduce your radius below 1 mm. Then start playing with edge selection until you get a decent result. 
      If you want a full round on the end of your wing, I think you will need to do that with a loft using some guides. 
  • Options
    Thank you for your answer. I guess that the fillet function will not work but I will try again. If it does not work I will try as you suggest with a loft (I have still to figure out how exactly).

• Options
    nicholas_radzykewycznicholas_radzykewycz Member Posts: 30 PRO
    The filet command fails whenever it gets stuck in a narrow area between two adjoining edges like the tips of your wing. I played around with it a bit and got it to work:

Link to updated model:

Alternatively if you don't like it messing with the front edge I would draw out the rounding geometry you want and then perform a sweep remove to clean up the edge the way you want.

• Options
    Great thank you all for your suggestions, I will make some tries but at least I know that with the fillet function I can obtain something.