Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I increase the accuracy of number Variables?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
Hello 

Is it possible to increase the accuracy of how Variable which are numbers in Onshape are displayed?

i.e. I want to change to how may decimal places OnShape's variables are displayed.
I am assuming that internally OnShape will be calculating 

BACKGROUND
I am trying to print out a Sketch at exactly life size. Unfortunately my printer is slightly off in the Y direction, but not so much in the X direction. So I am needing to create a variable (which I am calling "PrinterFudgeY") - which is what I have to multiply all the Y-direction dimensions by.  e.g. My PrinterFudgeY value is 1.0045, but confusingly it is displaying as "1.005".

Thanks

J

Comments

• Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    If you typed in 1.0045 it will use that under the hood even if it only displays 1.005.

Under your "My Account" area -> Preferences you set your default units and number of decimal places to display.

And at the document level you can also override/specify what you want to use.

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 277
    Yeah, we don't have precision settings for dimensionless quantities. Marc is right, of course - this is just for display and we use the underlying quantity with full precision for calculating things. Do feel free to submit an improvement request.
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @Marc_Miller, I could not get document level settings (Workspace Units) to override account level settings to increase the display revolution of variables.  That local override only seems to apply to sketch dimensions and feature parameters.  What am I missing?
  • Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    @matthew_stacy Hmmm not sure. I have my account settings to mm and 2 decimal places. In a document if I set it to display 5 places it will show that while editing a sketch (assuming the dimension entered has that level of precision). Note that if you have it set to 5 places, but a dimension only has 2 places of accuracy for example, it will only show that and not add extra zeros on the end. Ping Onshape support while you're in the document so you can do a screen cap and show them what you're seeing (not seeing!).
  • Options
    Theo_WordsworthTheo_Wordsworth Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Is there an open feature request to have this at the drawing level (or even the variable level?). I display weight on the drawing. At the moment two parts in the same document have weights of 150 grams, 500 kg respectively, it makes for very messy looking drawings.