Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Are there any plans to expose parasolid face imprint curve?

Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
Are there any plans on releasing the ability to imprint a curve on a face.  For example, take the curve generated from opCreateCurvesOnFace, and split the face with that curve. Basically SplitFaceOnParam(as solidworks calls it, and IFace2::ImprintCurve).
The problem I regularly deal with is extracting the b spline surfaces, then trimming them with certain but not all edges that existed on the original faces. To do this, I am creating a sweep (using lockFaces)  of a small line normal to the face at the edge where the mid point touches the edge I want to imprint, and then splitting the face with that swept face, or creating an offset edge based on face plane normals along the edge I want to imprint, which takes a long time and is not the greatest as it does have tolerance issues. 

You could expose a new option in opSplitFace {"parameters" :[.25,.5],"IsUParameter":true} which would then split the face along the u parametric axis. or just remove the requirement of direction in split face which would then allow imprinting.

If not, then I will just be happy with all the good stuff you have given us and will see if I can figure out how to do it with opCreateBSplineSurface using the option "boundaryBSplineCurves".