Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to make all these bolts line up?

Comments

• SethFSethF Member Posts: 71 PRO
    edited May 3
    Looks like all you need in that sketch is some parallel constraint to make them all line up nicely. Though, in general, you should fully constrain all your sketches (something you can learn more about in the Learning Center). For this sketch, that means also dimensioning the hexagons (which I did in my example by dimensioning one, then using an equal constraint with each of the others). I also saw you had some other unconstrained sketches in the part studio.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c219068b3409a669f93687ed/w/d5c7d6236f493ee93c555287/e/053412be242d78d81c2ded16?renderMode=0&uiState=6271031f7b4c317761190801
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    It looks like the holes are lined up. Perhaps you are referring to the hex recesses not having the flats in the same orientation. Going back to your sketch you can select a side of each hex shapes and assign it a horizontal constraint.

In the document below (sketch pattern part studio) I created one circle and hex then used a linear pattern of the circle and hex make the others. I then used two extrudes to make the holes and hex recesses.

In the pattern feature part studio I used my preferred method for duplication. Instead of extruding each individual sketch entity for the holes and recesses I only extruded the one circle and one hex and then used feature pattern for duplication.

Drawing one sketch entity(entities) has the benefit of modifying that sketch if need be and having that change update the sketch pattern or feature pattern too.

- Scotty