Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Change appearance for all parts

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
I'm am really struggling to find onshape rendering useful for what I am used to doing.  A very usual things that happens for me all the time is, I have applied an appearance to 20+ different parts.  I have decided I need to change a parameter in the appearance.  Do I really have to copy and paste onto all the parts again?  Is there no way to change the appearance and have it update everything that is using the appearance?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you just have to select the appearance in the "scene appearance" list (rather than selecting a part that has that appearance) and any change you make will apply across everything that uses that appearance.
    That said you have to make sure you applied that same appearance (rather than a new "instance" of it, which I think copy/paste does) to all the parts that are going to share it, i.e. use the appearance from the "scene appearances" list rather than from the main list. I hope that makes sense?
    It helps to rename the appearance after you add it for the first time, then you can keep applying it to other bits and find it again when you need to edit.
    Render studio can do a lot but the interface is seriously clunky! At least it looks like you can now select all the parts that use a specific appearance (if you need to replace it)

Answers

Answer ✓
    Yes, you just have to select the appearance in the "scene appearance" list (rather than selecting a part that has that appearance) and any change you make will apply across everything that uses that appearance.
    That said you have to make sure you applied that same appearance (rather than a new "instance" of it, which I think copy/paste does) to all the parts that are going to share it, i.e. use the appearance from the "scene appearances" list rather than from the main list. I hope that makes sense?
    It helps to rename the appearance after you add it for the first time, then you can keep applying it to other bits and find it again when you need to edit.
    Render studio can do a lot but the interface is seriously clunky! At least it looks like you can now select all the parts that use a specific appearance (if you need to replace it)
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    @eric_pesty
    Wow!  All this time and that never click in with me!  Thanks so much.  While I have you, Immediately I'm not seeing a way, but can one of the colour appearances that came in with a model be converted into a library appearance?  Effectively applying an appearance to everything of the same colour?
    @shawn_crocker
    That I'm not sure...
    I've just been poking around mostly in the dark but this whole appearance stuff isn't exactly intuitive... There are probably people out there that actually know what they are doing that might chime in!

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    @eric_pesty
    Yes.  The appearances feel awkward but potentially powerful.  The layout is just so different from anything else I have used (visualize, keyshot)