Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape under the hood

ray_rackiewiczray_rackiewicz Member Posts: 2
Congratulations on such a groundbreaking product. Could someone here explain to me the technology under the hood with Onshape? Is this an end-to-end Javascript solution with Node.js on the server and some WebGL front end? Or is it a 3-part solution with a Objective-C/Swift app on the Ios side, Java or JVM based solution on the Android side, and a Javascript app for non-mobile browsers? It'd hope the former :) I'm just thinking ahead for extensibility and wondering what is on the road-map as far as community generated applications might be.

Exciting stuff! I'd LOVE to be bored with the technical details if anyone is willing to explain the wiring and piping.

Comments

• noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    Hi @ray_rackiewicz ,

This won't cover all of your questions, but there was a good blog post by @ilya_baran here that talks about how we handle collaboration.

-Noa

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • ray_rackiewiczray_rackiewicz Member Posts: 2
    Nope. Not what I'm looking for :) but thanks.
  • dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    It is a cloud based SaaS implementation consisting of many interacting services on the server side, mainly a javascript client for browsers, and native client apps on mobile - all of which interact with the serve in essentially the same way - allowing true real time collaboration, true cloud security, and the other benefits of Onshape.  Sorry it is not what you'd hoped (-: but we believe it offers the best user experience on and off mobile for our customers - which is what ultimately drives all of our architectural decisions.