Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How could I create a loft between these two sketches?

gluebabygluebaby Member Posts: 3
As you can guess, I cannot loft successfully between these sketches. I'm not sure if that's even the right tool, but I want to shape that looks like what I would expect to get if I extruded from the top sketch to the bottom, which sounds like a loft to me, so I don't know. I just get errors whenever I try and it's driving me crazy. Thanks!

Answers

• Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited May 2022
    Please share the document with us so we can check were the problem is... But I think you have to at least mirror the sketch on plane 1
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    I tried to simply recreate your sketch and as expected I also got en error.

Here is my document:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9a232927c5e247513690dbd6/w/be3b0267c12a105dd99146eb/e/68498eb42d3cf25c05a5a513

Like I said, I think it is not possible to creat this until you at least mirror the half sketch.

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    It's failing because the resulting surface would intersect itself. You need to essentially "untwist" the loft so it doesn't do that, and the way to control it is with Match Connections, like so. Your shapes are pretty different so it's probably going to look a bit awkward no matter what you do, but you can decide if that matters for your application.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    A general tip if you want things to look less weird is to split some of the segments on your smaller sketch to have the same number of "edge segments" on each profile, this way you can control some of the weird diagonal lines that show up in Evan's example above.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

Going from a J shape to a C shape. It’s an interesting proposition

Of course at this point, it’s hard to tell exactly what you were looking for.

Anyway here’s one idea out of what could be many

Now in this case, there was more than just a loft. In fact after the loft, there was —

SWEEP

SKETCH

EXTRUDE

SKETCH

EXTRUDE