Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to create bounded surfaces from edges ?

I have an extruded cylindrical surface (from a circle sketch). I want to create two other circular surfaces, at the ends of the cylindrical surface.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    it does not seem that there is a tool for creating bounding surfaces per se. What you can always do is to create the surface that you want to close a hole and then trim it to fit using the split part feature. For this example it would work, but i am sure there are a bunch of scenarios where this would be hard to do.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @mutharasu_lalitha_chockalingam

OK, the revolve method works, very similar to what @shanshan demonstrated, but this is only useful for the cylindrical example you raised.

I was hoping the more general sweep method would also work, not just for cylindrical cases (which it does, as I imagined it would), but for arbitrary paths like a closed spline (which it appears not to, even if the resultant surface contour makes it non self-intersecting) 

This appears to be true whether the sweep path is coplanar with the sketch plane for the sweep profile,
    or (as in shanshan's example) on a normal plane, with a pierce relation to the profile.

Loft with guide curves would work for 4-sided patches, but otherwise I think we need to kludge it with "Split Part" (producing a sacrificial trimming surface which we can then delete) or wait for "Split Face" which hopefully is not far away.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something here? For this case you simply extrude a circle. No?
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that the OP (who seems to be missing from the thread) wants a planar surface with circular boundary to cap each end of his cylindrical extruded surface