Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing SLDPRT with just sketches?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,387 PRO
I have an old Solidworks part file which, if I remember correctly, is just a few sketches, all on the same plane. It's just a simple floor plan of an apartment with some rectangles for furniture. I have the .SLDDRW and .PDF which were created from it. I don't have access to a seat of Solidworks to fully review what I did, but I can open the Solidworks stuff in eDrawings.

I'm trying to import some version of this into Onshape. When I do that with the .SLDPRT, I get one curve, which I think it the first sketch. This gives an error on import as well. Is this normal?

Aside from finding someone with a seat of Solidworks to export the original as a .DXF, are there any free ways to extract the info from the files? I don't have Illustrator to open the PDF and export a DXF.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/07a5e87188cf1bcb4d137795/w/d7eafb88ea444920c77790b2/e/67f2ec2321a18a9915afce28

Best Answer

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Try Inkscape. It's basically a freeware version of Illustrator. It can easily import PDFs and it has the option to export DXF among other things.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Try Inkscape. It's basically a freeware version of Illustrator. It can easily import PDFs and it has the option to export DXF among other things.
  • Options
    I noticed your document has the SW file. I went ahead and converted it to DXF for you.
  • Options
    @mahir
    Thanks. Inkscape is a little clunky, but it does open the .PDF and export a DXF. It's a little crazy how the text and arcs are turned into a zillion lines, but that did the trick for now.
  • Options
    Check my last post for what should be a cleaner DXF generated by SW. Also, Inkscape probably has some knobs to turn for both PDF import and DXF export that should reduce the number of line entities.
  • Options
    @mahir
    The Zipped DXF was better than what I could get from the the PDF -> Inkscape -> DXF -> Onshape. The text is still a mess, but it's not critical for my needs. Thanks.