Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to add dxf to part

steven_henerysteven_henery Member Posts: 2
I'm trying to add a dxf of a logo I converted from PNG.
I would like to add it to the side of my part. 
My part is a box in 2 parts.
Struggling to get it on the side of my part. Any help greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭✭
    @steven_henery

Well to start with — that looks like a bitmap or a raster file that was evidently inside of your DXF

Because when you bring in dxf’s that are vector, they won’t have the varying line weights — at least not that I remember seeing

So you may be able to show this graphic file on a plane. But you’re going to have to trace over it with the line tool, the spline or arc tools, the offset and the fill tools, and extrude, because you won’t be able to make this image a part of your object as some apps do with decals

I’m a hobbyist myself. I do not have the pro version. But I believe I read that you can have decals that can be applied to the side of parts if you have the pro version of Onshape

But if you’re a hobbyist with the free app like myself, then you’re going to have to trace over it with Onshape’s sketch tools In order to make it part of your object

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    @steven_henery

Another option is to use a program that will convert raster or bitmap images into a vector file. Just make sure you have that vector file in a format that you could import into Onshape

Other folk within this forum could probably tell you what programs to use to convert from raster or bitmap to vector

Years ago I used to use a program called Vector Magic that worked very good. It was made by some guys out of Stanford. And they have an online conversion service to this day.

But Vector Magic is not free. You have to pay. And I haven’t really looked at the program in a long time so I’m guessing or assuming or thinking they probably have a DXF vector export. But you would have to confirm that