Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using Surface Modeling

Hello. I need help, please.

I am having trouble using the loft feature to surface model my helicopter sketch. What techniques do you recommend I try? So far, there always seems to be an error in my projected curves as they do not generate. I wonder if it is because I did not use splines to sketch the top view of the helicopter. I have tried inserting new planes to design loft profiles but to no avail. For some reason, I cannot even fill surfaces to start off: there are different errors every time.
I don't know what I am doing wrong. Help, please.

Comments

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    I did have a look at your document, no clue what you are trying to make.
    Here is a link to the learning centre, have a look, not all sketches are on the same plane as in your part-studio
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/surfacing-modeling-in-onshape
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,067 PRO
    One tip is you can use the Offset Surface command instead of Fill to convert sketch faces to surface bodies. Unfortunately, that doesn't really help you with your main goal. For that I too recommend the learning center courses to get the hang of it.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @firma_tamara_pierre

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5a441119b65ade036c7876cb/w/6e84894ce8654dd31f24a31c/e/32e2817c860e389f515afc76

Take a look at this document. This should give you an idea of how it can be done. Now there’s a lot more to it than this but this is at least a starting point

Go through the features list on the left-hand side of this document. Go through each feature one by one and take a look at all the settings for each of these features

try to keep the sketches that you use for lofting on the simpler side. Because lofting gets a little tricky if you use more complicated sketches

by the way, this thing is my hybrid version of a jet ranger and a AS350 😳