Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Export an IGES file of a 3D part drawing

Dear ,
 I want a 3D drawing ( 3D part drawings ), in a IGES file and it does not work to me . What can cause this?

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your IGES file solid bodies?
    Surfaces will not be shown in a Drawing
  • Options
    nazaire_verruenazaire_verrue Member Posts: 4

Yes, it is a solid bodie. A part.

I would export to an IGES file. It does not work to me.

• Options
    OK, I misunderstood your question.
    It seems you are trying to export a part model in IGES format.
    (Drawings in Onshape are a different thing from models, and so that word confused me)

If you are following the procedure at
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/exporting-files.htm

and no valid IGES file is generated, you should share the model with Onshape support and use "Feedback" to report the issue

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Dear , I can export an IGES file. The edges are not exported . What must I do to EDGES would be exported also?
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @nazaire_verrue What application are you opening the IGES file in?  Let us know.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Dear,
     The IGS file opens in the program Mastercam. I can import an IGES file. The edges are not imported in the Mastercam. What must I do to EDGES would be imported also? The surfaces to be imported into the Mastercam
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Can you try step format?

Not sure why iges is not working. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I always export a parasolid file to open into mastercam and it works fine. I did attempt a iges export and yes I had some issues displaying all the surfaces. I would suggest using parasolid format, If you need surfaces you can easily convert the solid into surfaces with-in mastercam.
  • Options
    Can you try step format?

Not sure why iges is not working. 
    Given that IGES pre-dates modern MCAD modelling by at least a decade, and in fact was probably around before most Onshape code jockeys were born
    (The 80 character file format arose from the number of holes used in punched card programming, and IIRC it was developed by the USAF for military use, having purchased the underlying translator from Boeing for $1):

I'm always more surprised when IGES does work than when it does not.
  • Options
    Here's the sort of computers which IGES was developed to run on