Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Keychain Text Automation

xphilipxphilip Member Posts: 15 PRO
Looking to automate the creation of these keychains. 

The input is a text string, but then it gets tricky.
Each character in its correct location needs to be extruded to different height - no idea how to do this, this is the sticking point. 
After that it's fairly easy (i think) - offset the vertical faces to ensure that I can then boolean all the bodies together and export as 3MF/STL

Some smart person here surely knows how to do this :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/94898019595c6cb408523bed/w/8957b82c6872db5bf9d83dbd/e/2d597c127db87b4415e4e860?renderMode=0&uiState=62bdaf32affec83631318d53

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 875 PRO
    edited June 30
    Hi xphilip, this is possible. I do have a few questions for you:
    1. Are you trying to do this with FeatureScript, standard part studio, or configured part studio?
    2. Does the font ever change?
    3. The words change I assume?
    4. Do you want only the model automated or the part automatically machined as well?
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 875 PRO
    I like @_anton's response  :grin:
  • xphilipxphilip Member Posts: 15 PRO
    The Onshape community delivers!!!! (ok an employee :))

@_anton - THANK YOU!!!!!! (MichaelPascoe - I know you were just pipped at the post -sorry, but also thank you :))

I will leave this post here as of course all can learn from Antons solution.

Philip
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 77
    Hey, I make things in Onshape too. :p
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 77
    edited June 30
    (Okay, I reworked it a bit so now it can handle letters like 'i'. Sketch one letter at a time, extrude to a random height, shift to have the right horizontal overlap.)

(It was bothering me.)