Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to thicken & hollow a complex object ?

luca_thommenluca_thommen Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hello,

First of all, apologies if it is not in the good format or place as I am fairly new to Onshape, or if this has been answered already - though I looked for an answer and didn't really find one. And finally, english isn't my native language but I'll do my best !

Here is my issue : I have a 3D object that represents the inside of a channel (a biological one), with some degree of tortuosity, and what I want is to get another object that represents an outer "skin" of the first one (with some thickness). For example, if my initial object was a cylinder, I would like to obtain a tube of inner diameter the outer diameter of the cylinder.

For simple shapes such as a cylinder I think I would get it, I thought about using the 'Thicken' tool for example, or creating an enlarged copy and then using a Boolean to substract the first object... But in my case both of these options are not bearing fruit. It may also be linked to the format of my object. I attach a screenshot of the 3D object I’m working with as I think it will make it a bit clearer. If you have any ideas on how to reach my goal, don’t hesitate as I am in quite a dead-end on my part ! Thank you for your time !

Luca

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    edited July 2022
    Unfortunately, the fastest way I'm aware of to shell a mesh would be to use Rhino or some other tool with more mesh manipulation features.

https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/offsetmesh.htm
  • luca_thommenluca_thommen Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I am not familiar with Rhino unfortunately... But I am not sure I can afford a license for this task alone. Would you by any chance know of a more accessible software ? Thanks again for sadly confirming what I thought about the feasibility on Onshape.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    If it’s just a short term thing, Rhino’s trial license is fully featured for 90 days. The educational license is $195.

There are free tools like Blender.
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    You could use Freecad for this, here's a tutorial.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYc3BtkUtfI